After discovering water damage to your house, whether from a slow leak that has gone unnoticed for years or storm or flood damage, it is recommended that you call in the experts, such as a fire and water damage repair company. They specialise in water damage cleanup and will be invaluable in determining the best course of action as well as performing necessary repairs. If you wish to learn more about this, visit Water Mold Fire Restoration of Atlanta
While you wait for water damage repair experts to arrive, there are several measures you can take to save some of your precious possessions. As you wait for them to arrive, complete the following five basic tasks to help speed up the restoration process.
- Circulate the air with fans and open windows – the number one enemy would be mould and mildew, which will begin to develop and do irreversible harm to anything. Mold and mildew would have more opportunities to flourish if the space is damp for an extended period of time.
- Remove as many rugs and floor coverings as possible – carpets and rugs hold a lot of moisture, and the drying process would be more successful if they are hung up and aired.
- Place furniture legs on blocks of wood – if there is water on the floor, you must move the furniture as soon as possible. The more time it lies in water, the more moisture it absorbs.
- Remove wet fabrics – much like floor coverings, wet fabrics like curtains, bedding, and lounge covers contribute to the moisture content of the room, so they must be taken outside.
- Use a dehumidifier – if the weather is warm and a dehumidifier is available, running it with the windows closed will aid in the drying process tremendously.
When the water damage repair experts arrive, they will be equipped with the necessary equipment and expertise to rebuild your home properly. These first measures will aid in the reconstruction process moving forward as soon as possible.